1 package whole wheat pasta
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2-3 tbsp chili powder (adjust for preference)
2 tsps ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt *optional
2 bell peppers, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cup corn kernels
3/4 fresh cilantro
2 cans (15oz) black beans, drain & rinsed
*optional add-ins: roasted plum tomatoes, canned tomatoes, pinto beans, lemon juice, fresh orange juice, fresh avocado, or canned olives.
1. Boil water for pasta
2. Mix oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and salt in a separate bowl. Set aside.
3. Add pasta to boiling water.
4. In a large pan, saute (in oil or water) bell peppers & onions. Add corn (if using frozen corn kernels, cook corn prior to bell peppers & onions). Add garlic. Add fresh cilantro. Add beans at last minute to simply warm them up - beans tend to absorb moisture.
5. Drain cooked pasta and mix with oil, lime juice, and spice mixture.
6. Add vegetables to pasta and mix.
For my picky eaters, I let them add a dallup of sour cream to their bowls, and serve with a side of sliced avocado or sliced oranges. My husband enjoys this flavored with hot sauce. This dish can also be served as a cold pasta for a picnic - simply do not cook the bell peppers, onion, & garlic - but I do recommend roasting the corn for that added boost of flavor.
Don't forget to follow via Google Friend Connect located on the sidebar. Or find me on Facebook @ Mommy Needs An Aspirin.