Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Toilet Paper Owls

I am not a fan of Parent's Magazine. I got it for a $1 for one year through some sort of online deal and decided to give it a try. Thank goodness it was only $1!

However, in the December 2011 issue I earned my buck back when I found this cute idea for a toilet paper owl.
Please excuse the scribbles on my mag pic.
Apparently my helpful 3 y/o liked the craft idea too.
Now, what do you do with something so damn cute? How can it serve a purpose? No sense in crafting just to craft. Luckily for me I've been slowly working on a room remodel so that my son and daughter can share a room. Since Georgia loves birds, I've themed it the "Bird Room." I painted a whimsical tree in the corner of her room (pictures to come closer to completion) with the intention of cutting out birds that I found on a very cute place mat from Ikea.

Georgia, after seeing a HUGE owl fly at the bird show at the Safari Park in San Diego is scared to death of owls. She didn't even want these cute little guys in her room. That sucker was huge in real life!


You don't need much as far as supplies:

-Toilet Paper/Paper Towl Rolls
-Craft Paint
-Foam Paint Brush
-Scrapbook Paper
-Glue Stick
*Optional: paper punches (think 50% off coupons at your local craft store - worth the investment for future school projects)
**Optional: pinking shears to make the points on the feet. I just used regular scissors and was happy with the result.


Simply stand the cardboard tube upright and fold down the edge to make ears. Give an extra pinch on the folds to ensure they stay down. Cut the length to any size you prefer. Parents Magazine suggest 3", I opted for an aviary of 9, so mine differed in heights. Once you paint the body, let dry before applying the eyes, wings, feet, and beak. Attach all with a glue stick and voila!

The craft paint I purchased was .49$ full price (though I'm sure you could find a deal and stock up). The paper was .25$/sheet and I over-purchased with 8 sheets. Whoa! Big spender here! Becaues the owls are hollow in the middle, I was able to adhere them to the wall by pushing a thumbtack through the back of the cylinder. Easy peasy and did the trick.

What else could you use these cute little guys? Birthday party? Children's craft? Puppet show (if put on a popsicle stick)? Give us a hoot out!


Don't forget to follow via Google Friend Connect located on the sidebar. Or find me on Facebook @ Mommy Needs An Aspirin.

4 comments:

  1. These are so adorable. I have a stash of toilet paper tubes that is starting to pile up a bit. This looks like a great way to use them up with the kids. Our plans are to decorate our nursery in owls, also.. so this could be an idea for that as well! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted some then made my own tubes out of craft paper as well. Then I made a garland of them for my son's first birthday party and hung them from the lights as well. After the party we added the rogue owls to the ends of the garland and hung it in his bedroom. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Heather and I am the lead of the bird show at the Safari Park. The next time you guys are in the park please stop by the show. We can set something up (if you feel its the right thing to do) so Georgia can meet one of our owls in a fashion that is not scary. Our owlies are the sweetest and cutest owls I have ever worked with. Maybe meeting them in a way thats not 3D style will change her mind about them? Any way, I frequently scan Google images for mention of the bird show and found your blog. Your craft owls are VERY cute and I plan to make them with my little girl.
    Take care,
    *Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm the craft instructor for our home school co-op. This year I'm working with 7 - 11 year olds. I've made it a goal to only do crafts with a purpose. I love these owls, so I'm going to add a bottom and they will become little boxes, for little people, to keep their little stuff hidden inside. Thank for the idea!

    ReplyDelete