Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Friendly Debates With the Danielles - Regifting? Heck Yeah!

Thank you Danielle from We Don't Have it All, But Together We Have It All and Danielle from Happenings of the Harper Household for giving this momma something to preach about!

Question of the week: Re-gifting, yay or nay?




Answer: Heck Yeah!!

I'll give you a point blank example of re-gifting gone good. In a conversation with my sister-in-law (who happens to be ANOTHER Danielle - geesh!) about making homemade jam for Christmas baskets, she mentioned that her husband goes wild for Plum Jam. Actually, Danielle's words, and I quote, "he get's a boner."  So there ya have it, he loves it THAT much. It's not plum season - so making plum jam for my bro-in-law wasn't an option.

However. Da-da-daaaaaa! My awesome neighbors came over a few days before Christmas bearing homemade jam from their...wait for it,....wait for it....PLUM TREE! Call it rude, I call it excited, but I told my neighbor right then and there,

"Please don't take offense to this, but I know someone that will get a boner for this jam. Do you mind if I pass it along?" 

She gave me the nod of approval and away it went into my gift basket for my in-laws. Come to find out, my brother-in-law's grandmother used to ship him homemade plum jam every summer from her house in Oregon. Taste alone isn't solely why he loves it - nostalgic thoughts of grammy are stirred up in every bite. I made sure to tell my neighbor the details of the re-gifting - how cool to make something that has cherished memories attached to it!

So I say heck yes to re-gifting if done with the right intention. Don't just give something away you'd never use or don't like. If you know someone else could benefit from it - I say pass it along. However, I would be careful in telling the original gifter. In my case it was just plum jam - I couldn't imagine re-gifting a costly or time consuming present (like a hand-sewn quilt).

So what do you say? Yay or Nay?

Don't forget to follow via Google Friend Connect located on the sidebar. Or find me on Facebook @ Mommy Needs An Aspirin.

Friendly Debate Suggestions: 
-Baby Showers for 2nd, 3rd pregnancies

No comments:

Post a Comment